Friday, August 30, 2013

Life in Jeju City

Again, it's been a while. But this may be the last chance I have for a while to do one of these because I'm moving into my actual apartment (and out of this motel) tomorrow, so no more free internet. So, even though it's 4:30 am, I will continue to work.

Not much has happened since last time. But at the same time, my whole world has changed. I am now living on Jeju Island in South Korea. Holy cow. The flight here was no problem, even if hauling my bags around was laborious. That day, Monday, was really hectic. We sent a lot of time on a minibus going from place to place. We also got to meet our co-teachers. All of the Guest English Teachers ([GETs] myself included) were put into a big room with all of the co-teachers and we didn't know which one was ours. After a long speech from the Provincial Supervisor our names and schools were called. My co-teacher is one of very few male elementary teachers. I was really surprised to see that he was dressed in worn jeans, a band tee-shirt, and a baseball cap. We chatted for about three minutes, then he left. Everyone else was having long conversations with their co-teachers, but I was alone. It was sort of off-putting. But, as I quickly found out, my co-teacher, Moon Byeongon (Moon being his surname), is totally awesome! He's really nice, very friendly, laid back, honest, and the students love him. He tells me that he gets angry at them sometimes and yells, but I can't imagine it. Together, we've been working with a group of 6 advanced 6th graders reading a simple version of the Merchant of Venice. I have to say I'm impressed with them and their rapid progress. And they're adorable in a rabid kitten kind of way. Before working with them I never considered how I pronounce things. It just came naturally. But when I'm asked how to pronounce words like 'interest' and 'important' properly, I find myself thinking that this is how I would pronounce it, but elsewhere they might say interest with 3 syllables instead of 2. It's quite perplexing.

Many of the students that I meet are clearly curious about me, but I haven't yet been given the Spanish Inquisition by them (I'm expecting that next week once classes really start). I get a lot of stares around the city, especially when I ask for directions. Therein lies my biggest problem: speaking the language. I know I have a lot of vocabulary stored away in my brain, but when the chance comes to use it I speak English instead. And the problem is in confidence. I lack it. I made a new friend tonight and talking to him in Korean was a lot easier. Gundam and I are going to exchange language lessons. I'll teach him English and he'll teach me Korean. I hope it works out because I could really use a tutor.

Lots of people have asked me if I'm homesick. And the easy answer is yes, but not so much as I had imagined. It's the small things that comfort me the most; the many construction sites around, the barking of dogs, the smell that wafts out of the dozens of bakeries. They make me think of home even if very little looks or sounds familiar. This weekend I'll be spending a lot of time with other GETS. Tonight we had a night out on the town. Tomorrow some friends will help me move. Sunday we're making a day trip to the south side of the island to Seogwipo to see a soccer match, apparently the last one of the season. I'm really excited. It still doesn't feel quite real to be here. It hasn't fully registered yet. I'm pretty sure it'll sink in on Monday when 30-odd faces are staring at me with eyes full of curiosity and brains full of questions. Bring on the Inquisition, I'm expecting it. I just wish I knew my bloodtype...

No comments:

Post a Comment